Tuesday, October 14, 2008

In between Chemo 1 and Chemo 2- July 4 to July 22

So... starting July 4th, Chris gets to be home for a few weeks before the next chemo. We have Lauren, Lorraine, Ray, Christine, Mike, Ben, and I forget who else come over for a 4th of July BBQ. It was crappy outside so we stayed inside. It was nice for Chris to finally be home.

Oh I forgot to mention, when I brought Chris home the night before... it was wonderful.. Homecoming... He saw his cat Rex for the first time in a month. It was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. I know this sounds silly... but me and my mom were all teary watching them re-unite... Rex was so happy to see Chris and I know Chris was sooo happy too... I miss Rex whenever I am not home.. I cannot imagine how it is for Chris to be without Rex for a month.
4th of July is nice.. we watch fireworks on tv...

We have bloodwork appointments, and doctor appointments. Bloodwork looks good. We meet with the urologist. Basically, they are recommending the removal of the other testicle - we are pretty prepared for this.. but its real now. Surgery is scheduled. Although Chris has gotten chemo, and will be getting more, the testicles are unfortunately a hiding place for cancers AND chemo does not reach the testicle as well as it reaches other parts of the body. The doctors feel it is best to just remove the 2nd testicle to play it safe. The intense chemo would probably leave him infertile anyways.. and we have already stored some sperm. We agree its best for Chris to go through with the surgery...

During this time home, my dad was a HUGE help. He was still home on disability from his hip replacement. Go figure. But, he was doing well and drove chris to a lot of appointments and tests. I dont know how i would have handled this without my dad's help. My boss is extremely understanding and flexible... I work from home when I have to on afternoons or mornings, but I try to not miss too much work and save time for when he has the transplant. My dad being off for all of this was God-sent. He went back to work at the end of September.
In July, Chris had a pet scan. .. July 11th to be exact... Chris has an appointment on July 15th and they reviewed the petscan....Things looked great. No leukemia activity... spine leisions were gone or much smaller. The only place there is any activity is the groin area,,, but we are removing the testicle anyways... Chemo seems to be working... July 18th the 2nd testicle is removed... He spends a few days recovering... He feels well enough to come with me to Jeanie's house for her birthday barbeque on July 20th.... although its a bbq, he is not well enough to be outside in the hot sun, but is still able to enjoy being out that day... Now Round 2 of Chemo is scheduled... Here we go...

No comments: